Gold Canyon, Az

Gold Canyon, Az
New Years Day 2015, Gold Canyon, AZ

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Massacre Grounds

On Wednesday Lori, Charli and I headed out with J.C. (fellow Park resident and leader of our Photography Club) to hike and shoot the Massacre Grounds trail.  At the top of the trail there is a waterfall and with all the rain and snow we had last week we figured the falls would be more than the trickle that I saw on a previous hike.  The trail is just over 5 miles with an elevation change of 1100 feet and it took almost 4 hours when I went previously with my hiking group.  They move at a pretty good pace so I knew the hike this day ,with 2 photographers in tow, would be a little longer.  We were on the trail about 7 hours and came back with our water bladders empty and 3 very tired hikers and one tired old dog.  While Lori was a pretty good sport about the lengthy outing she has vowed not to go out with us again.  

We didn't take many pictures on the way up as the skies were overcast however there was an expanding patch of blue and by the time we got to the top we were rewarded as the clouds started to break up.  With temps in the 70's and a light breeze it turned out to be a perfect day for both hiking and photography.  We had lunch at the top of the trail and then headed over to the waterfall.  I primarily used my new 16-35 lens and the pictures turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.   Walgreens is supposed to have a big sale on prints in late March and some of these may be coming back with us on 16 x 20 Canvas prints.

Shooting a wide angle with a huge vista requires something of interest
in the foreground.  The rocks and cactus provided a great foreground while
the blue sky, fluffy white clouds and distant mountains with just a touch
of snow remaining provided a great background and a nice colour contrast. 
Second time on this hike and it is my favourite so far.
The views are fabulous. 

Lots more water coming off the mountain after the rain and snow last week. 

The water trickling over the rock face turns it black.
Makes for great contrasting colours. 


There were actually a lot of other people at the falls.  I had to patiently wait for them to move out of frame but in some situations I ended up having to erase them out in post processing.  

I planted myself on some large boulders at the base of the falls in the
midst of the stream. My feet got a little wet but avoided falling in.  
4 horses and riders showed up for a drink.
Still can't believe they could negotiate all the boulders and loose
rocks on the trail.  
Both riders and horses had to be very experienced   


Love the sun ray effect and I didn't even have to do it in post processing.
I believe the diaphragm on the lens has 11 blades and it created the real
neat sun ray effect.  I did have to take out a few sun flares but overall it
handled shooting directly into the sun real well. 



On the way down we came across a patch of yellow California poppies.
With all the rain and now the weather turning warm and sunny I
expect March to be a great wildflower month.  


One last look back at the snow on the mountain.
Not sure when we will see that again.

What a trooper.  This was taken at the top.
Little did she know that her journey had just begun. 
Thats it for now.  I still have the pictures from my visit to the Monastery to edit but that will have to wait as tomorrow we are going to a Home and Garden show with Mark and Jan.  Why would we go to a Home and Garden show in Phoenix you might ask.  Well Mark and Jan are looking for items for their new house and I believe Jan wants Lori there for moral support.  Mark is going to keep the budget in check and I am going to provide him moral support.    

Can't believe its March already.  Our time is winding down with only 4 weeks till we start our trek home and still lots to do.  Guess we have to come back next year. 

1 comment:

  1. Great shots Bruce. Looks like the Sony is working out well for you. Looks like most of your shots have had at least some post-processing work done to them. Are you happy with the Raw output from the Sony?

    ReplyDelete