Gold Canyon, Az

Gold Canyon, Az
New Years Day 2015, Gold Canyon, AZ

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Riparian Preserve and the Thousand $ Question?

On Thursday the Photography Club visited the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert which promised to provide some great shots of a wide variety birds and other wild life.  The Preserve is a rather unique combination of water resource management and a wildlife habitat.  The following excerpt is taken  from the Preserve's website and explains what it is all about.

"The Town of Gilbert made a commitment to reuse 100% of its effluent water... Of the 110 acres, 70 acres make up the 7 water recharge basins that are filled on a rotating basis with treated effluent and allowed to percolate into the aquifer...An additional lake is filled with reclaimed water and is designated as an urban fishing resource...Approximately 298 species of birds have been identified on the site and many insects, fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals have found homes there as well. "

We spent the afternoon walking the trails between the recharge basins, snapping pictures in a natural setting which is basically located in the middle of the city.  I used my maximum zoom setting of 200mm and when I got the pictures up on the laptop I cropped them for a full screen view of my subject.  Its then that I realized what just a little camera shake does to a picture. Next time I'm bringing my tripod.

These are the best of the bunch.



Here is a shot of the Gila Woodpecker.  Evidence of their handiwork can be seen everywhere.  They frequently drill holes in the Saguaro Cactus which they then use for nesting.

A domestic goose which has escaped and made a home in the Preserve






Mr and Mrs Mallard.  Mr Mallard is demonstrating his balancing ability.


A bird condo complex built in a Palo Verde tree.


House finch.  Such a pretty bird.  If I was him I would lobby for a better name.


The Great Egret or White Herron. We're not sure.    They stand perfectly still and very slowly move closer to their prey, suddenly striking.  Was very interesting to watch.  Much like a cat stalking their prey.



One of those tree huggers I have heard so much about.


A Cooper Hawk.  


Curved Bill Thrasher


Great Blue Heron.  Watched him stalking his lunch for quite some time and then he flew off.



Least Sandpiper



Again not sure but we think its an Egret.
   A pair of Mallard's digging in the mud with their bills searching for food.


OK, so we weren't expecting this.
Desert Rats.  Running across the trails and under the bushes.  Freaked Lori out.



Ring Necked Duck

American Coot
















Desert Cottontail.  Not sure whether there were more rats or bunnies but much preferred the bunnies.











Had a great time and at the end of the day I realized I need to start saving for a bigger lens.

Its been raining for the past 2 days.  Not the best weather for all the outdoor activities planned for the Super Bowl on Sunday but, if Superbowl fans are anything like Grey Cup fans, they are probably too drunk to notice.  There is also a PGA golf tournament here this weekend and apparently the course is a bit wet.  Don't think they build golf courses in Arizona with drainage being the main consideration.
Back to sunny and 70-80F tomorrow.

Now for the answer to the question I posed in my last post.
The total cost of my 3 hour visit to the ER.......  $15,348.00   Even with all the delays and wait times I think I am glad for universal medicare.
2 people tied for the closest estimate, both at $15,000.  Congratulations to Richard Insley and Joan Knowles.  Yours prize, keeping in mind that I am a pensioner on a fixed income, is a free subscription to my Blog.

Thats it for now.  Only 2 weeks left at Gold Canyon and we have to get out on some day trips and a few more hikes.  We still have a few things we want to see before we leave.
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment