Gold Canyon, Az

Gold Canyon, Az
New Years Day 2015, Gold Canyon, AZ

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Lost Gold Mine Trail from the correct trailhead

Here is an interesting fact regarding my Blog.  The most views are people from Canada.  The second most views are from the United States.  No surprise so far, right.  Well guess which country comes in third.  China, while quite some distance back, comes in 3rd, followed closely by France and the Ukraine.

You may have noticed that I made a few changes to the format of my Blog and added some Gadgets to the side of the blog.  Gadget is Googles terminology for some of the features that you can add to your blog, like Pictures, a Search feature, E-mail link (put in your e-mail address and you will never miss any of the adventures of the Wiebe's), Blogs I Follow and numerous others.   Hopefully these will be of benefit to some of the readers.  The Blogs I Follow section consists of various travel blogs I have come across while surfing the net and have found them to be very educational as I tried to increase my knowledge of RVing and Snowbirding.  After reading some of these blogs for a year, or more in some cases, I feel like I know these people yet I have never met them and in all likelihood never will.  Ahh, the world of the Internet.  A great way to bring people together and share ideas and experiences.  Gotta love it.  (turns out that "Six Saturdays and a Sunday" is in the RV Park next door so maybe I will run into them on one our hikes.

Friday Lori did some laundry while I played Pickleball and then we walked Charli around the Park a couple of times.  The rest of the day we relaxed as Saturday we were planning a 4 hour hike to finish off the other end of the Lost Gold Mine Trail that we had first tried before Christmas.

Saturday morning came and we were planning to hop out of bed at 6:30 and be out on the trail by 8:00 to beat the heat.  For those that know me, hopping out of bed before 8:00 just isn't my thing.  Its usually pretty chilly in the trailer first thing in the morning and we finally managed to get out from under the covers at 7:30.  We made the trailhead by 9:00 and it was already starting to warm up so shorts, t-shirt, a hat and lots of water was all that was required. We set out on what was a fairly level trail with the main challenge being keeping Charli clear of the deadly Cholla Cactus needles.

The trail is 5.85 miles one way and we figured we must have done at least half of the trail on Dec 24th so we set a goal of 2 hours out and 2 hours back which should have taken us to at least the halfway point.  We aren't the fastest ones on the trail, due mainly to my stopping to snap pictures at every turn.  We didn't encounter too many other people but were passed by a couple of joggers and mountain bikers.  By the end of the 4 hours we wished that we had set out an hour earlier as the heat was taking its toll.  

My hiking companions, full of vim and vigour.  None of us were looking quite as chipper after 4 hours in the desert sun.  Not much shade out there.
A 1000 feet or so of solid rock and then a little cactus oasis.
 So I got something in the foreground, a big boulder in the mid ground and that mountain in the background.  Even got a fence line for the eye to follow.  Cropped it so I had as little blue sky as possible.

Apparently the fence is to keep the longhorn cattle from ranging too far.  For the life of me I can't figure out what they would eat.  No grass and most everything has thorns.
 The skeletons of these long dead Saguaro cactus always remind me of  a cowboy with his "hands-up"  Just need a cowboy hat plopped on top.
 At the photography class we attended a few days earlier they were giving tips about Landscape Photography.  Mainly the proper composition so you have points of interest in the foreground, mid ground and the background.  Also to try not to centre the main subject of the picture and to not have to much boring blue sky.  I tried to be more conscious of these things as I composed my pictures.  I think I was somewhat successful but I will let you be the judge.




Charli at the 1/2 way point.  Still lots of energy and always out front pulling on the leash.  Thus the Gentle Leader around her muzzle to keep her from dragging me down the trail.
s

We found a nice flat rock which served as a picnic table for our lunch.













After 4 hours out in the desert sun (and it was only about 72F) and almost 23,000 steps on Lori's Fitbit we had one very tired dog.  By the end I had to nudge her with my walking stick to keep her going.  We got back to the truck and Charli lay down on the cool cement patio outside our trailer, I grabbed a beer and Lori made a call to the hairdresser across the highway to get an appt to have her haircut.  We all have our priorities.  She got her appointment and since the lessons to drive my truck haven't happened yet, I drove her over and then came back to enjoy a cold one.  I must have dozed off as it seemed like no time had passed before I had to go back and pick her up.

She decided to go short and I think they did a good job.



Lori, with her new Do, enjoying her retirement gift.  No mosquitoes to swat down here.











Most of Sunday we recouped from our hike and in the evening I joined Lori at her Yoga class.  I thoroughly enjoyed the stretching and the various poses (I have no flexibility so I need this) but I just don't get the bit about letting your mind focus on your breathing and nothing else.  My mind immediately goes to things I need to do when we get back to the trailer and then I start looking at the clock.  Guess I'll have to work on letting my mind go blank. Seems to be an easier task for women.  (I'll pay for that comment later)

Monday another Pickleball session in the morning and a quick visit to the Gym.  We went for a bike ride in the afternoon and after going up and down all of the streets in our Park we decided to go to the neighbouring Parks and take a look at their facilities.  On one side of us is Canyon Vistas RV park which is very similar to our Park but larger and they seem to have a higher percentage of RVs vs Park Model homes.  They also seem to have the RVers grouped together where our park has many of the RVs mixed in with Park Models.  We are the only RV on our street and I would rather be grouped with other RVers as we tend to have more in common and RVers also tend to be outside more, thus easier to meet people.

We also toured the development on the other side of us which is called Montesto.  It is also a 55 Plus Gated community but instead of RVs and Park Model homes it consists entirely of modular homes.  One owner was having an open house so we dropped in for a tour.  They are very nice and this particular unit was about 1200 sq.ft. with a double garage, two bedrooms and and 2 baths.  She was asking about 125,000 but then you have to add on rent (you don't own the land), maintenance and utilities so that could run you another $700-$1000 p/m.  The park models in our park can be had for $20-50k plus rent, etc which can be around $400. p/m.  Perhaps one day we may consider this but for now there are too many places we want to see.  There is no shortage of places for sale and given that the average age of the residents is probably in the 70's health issues ensure a fresh supply of units for sale every year.  As one other RVer pointed out to us, as a Canadian, one major health issue means no health insurance and thus no trip south.  At least an RV and still be used at home, even if the season is more limited.

Monday night we went to a concert here in the Park.  The performer, Mario Carboni, was very good and put on a one man show, singing and for some of his songs playing both the piano and trumpet at the same time.  When we left I had to chuckle as residents piled into their golf carts to drive home.  There was even a bit of a traffic jam as the Golf carts weaved their way between cyclists and pedestrians.  I think everyone made it home safely.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment