Gold Canyon, Az

Gold Canyon, Az
New Years Day 2015, Gold Canyon, AZ

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Apple Computer Update, Final Chapter

 This is a followup to my post d'd June 25th which will provide, I hope, the final chapter in my Apple/UPS saga.  By way of a brief recap, I had ordered a MacBook Pro which was to be delivered by UPS.  Confirmation from Apple advised that a signature would be required for delivery however UPS said they simply left it at my front door.  The package was not on my door step when my neighbour checked an hour of so later and numerous calls to Apple, UPS, Visa, Insurance Companies and the RCMP ensued.  

A word to the wise.  If you have Payment Protector Insurance through your credit card, and most credit card companies offer this, it is not as advertised.  Lots of forms to fill out, hoops to jump through, and turns out it is secondary insurance.  If your claim would be covered under another insurance policy, like you home insurance, the credit card insurance will only cover the amount of your deductible.  

In the end, 3 months later, after filing a dispute claim with Visa, I have my money back and the computer is who knows where.  At every turn in this process I was met with roadblocks, fine print, delays and general disinterest in resolving my problem.  Apple did finally accept my claim and resolved to order me a new computer or provide me with a refund however by that time I had already started the dispute process with Visa and felt that it would be faster to proceed with them.  That proved to be an erroneous assumption on my part. 

My concern with Apple ordering me a new computer was that it would once again be delivered by UPS with no firm guarantee that the final result wouldn't be the same.  At this time deliveries can't be made to the Apple store and the local store doesn't carry a machine in the configuration that I want.  The local Apple store would not take an order direct and suggested that I order online.  I'm caught in a loop and I'm getting dizzy. 

At this time I am on hold in the hopes that deliveries to the Apple store will be allowed in the near future although I'm doubtful about that given Covid's resurgence.  Apple has also announced they are dumping Intel chips and updating all their computers to ARM chipsets which are supposed to be faster, run cooler and provide better battery life.  For the time being I plunk away on my 2011 IMac and wait for the screen to reload with edits I have made to my photos.  So for the time being I will wait, at least for a few months or until my patience wears out.  

Good thing I'm retired and not going anywhere this winter.   

Now on to funner things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment