Gold Canyon, Az

Gold Canyon, Az
New Years Day 2015, Gold Canyon, AZ

Sunday, December 9, 2018

White Sands

Monday, November 26 we left Carlsbad and headed for Alamagordo, NM.  We took Hwy 285 north to Artesia where our RV GPS and Google Maps showed us 2 different routes.  Google had us turn west along Hwy 82 straight to Alamagordo, the most direct route.  The RV GPS had us continuing north to Roswell, then west, and then south to Alamagordo.  An extra hour in driving time.    Our Garmin RV GPS allows us to input the width, length and height of our unit and is supposed to provide us with a route free of clearance issues.  I wanted to ignore the Garmin as Hwy 82 looked like a major highway and couldn’t see any reason why it would be a problem.  Lori encouraged me to listen to the Garmin and since I always listen to what my wife says (she may have to say it 2 or 3 times but eventually she gets through to me)  we took the long way.  Good thing I listened.  Turns out there is a long tunnel on Hwy 82.  Mark and Jan, who were a few hours behind us as they stopped to get their windshield fixed, took 82  and had no problem however they are not as high as we are.  I tried to find out the height of the tunnel but none of my online searches provided me an answer.  Turns out Semi’s are not allowed on that route, mainly due to the steep grades, but could also be due to the tunnels.  Regardless our drive was a bit longer but better safe than sorry.        

What you might ask is Alamagordo’s claim to fame.  For travellers like ourselves the attraction is its close proximity to White Sands National Monument.  Plenty of RV Parks and only a 15 minute drive to White Sands.  We checked into Edgington RV Park for an overnight stay and at $18. with Passport America it was priced about right.  We got set up, had lunch and with Mark and Jan still an hour away we headed to White Sands.

We visited White Sands in 2014 and were impressed with the scenery.  Very fine grained sand the colour of snow, dunes rolling forever with a mountain range in the distance.  The only problem with that visit was that it was a day with heavy clouds which had the effect of making everything various shades of grey.  This time we had some light wispy clouds mixed with blue sky resulting in much more dramatic colours.  We didn’t have much time as it was already late in the day but we got out on one good hike through the dunes before the shadows of the setting sun ended our day.  This is a place I could spend a day or 2 hiking through the dunes looking for that perfect shot.  

While we didn’t have a lot of time I still got some good shots.  

Perhaps my favourite shot of the trip so far.
Hardly any post processing required.  

They say Canon has better colour than Sony however I find I can do much less "post" with the Sony than I did with the Canon.  

The dunes go on and on and on with a nice little mountain range in the background. 

While were weren't supposed to, we let Charli off leash.
She hasn't run free for over a month and she make the most of it.
For the next few days she walked like an old man.
Just like me.   

Another favourite of mine
Thats why I could spend a couple of days here.
As the sun makes its way across the sky the light and shadows make big changes in the same view. 


Charli was wondering where mommy went. 


So many good pictures all taken within an hours hike. 

This shot wasn't too exciting so I played with it a little and this is what I liked best. 



This would have been good if I wouldn't have cropped it so tight.
Should have left some space below and to the left of the bottom bush.  




Our short trail out of the dunes back to our truck. 




Once we were done we headed back to the RV and found Mark and Jan all set up.  We had dinner and prepared for our departure the next morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment